Do you even know all of the benefits of knowing how to make edibles candy? It’s the perfect, portable medicine.
As soon as you walk into a dispensary, the array of edible products laid out before you is like something out of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. From cannabis crispies and Bubba-Kush ice creams to intense THC gummies and CBD lollipops, it’s overwhelming! Cannabis edibles, often called “medibles”, are one of the most popular ways to use cannabis these days. As folks become increasingly aware of smoking-related health issues, eating your medicine becomes a valuable alternative.
But you don’t have to travel all the way to the dispensary to find high-quality cannabis candies. Save your hard earned dollars and learn how to make edibles candy in your own kitchen. Making cannabis candies at home saves you money, time, and gives you total control over the medible experience as well as your diet. If you rely on CBD candies to get you through the day, you’ll be shocked to see just how simple it is to make them yourself.
The Benefits of Cannabis Candies
First and foremost, hard candies usually contain a low to medium potency. It makes them a starting point for using cannabis edibles, especially if you have minimal experience or if you’re sensitive to THC.
On top of this, making cannabis candies at home lets you control the potency. Not all stores will carry the right THC, CBD, or combination potency for your needs. To make matters more complicated, some places carry very few CBD products. When you learn how to make edibles candy you can choose the cannabinoid combination that works for you, and then design your own candy.
Unlike smoking or vaping, CBD and THC candies are incredibly discreet. Pop a few in your purse or your desk drawer, and use as needed throughout the day. Unless it’s a commercially labeled product, cannabis hard candies look like any other sweeties. Instead of taking a smoke break, you can privately medicate without anyone knowing.
A low dose candy may have just 10 mg of THC. A higher dose candy (like lollipops) can have up to 25 mg. Either way, a low to medium dose of cannabis is perfect for on-the-go medicating that won’t put you under the table.
People usually rely on hard candy edibles to manage chronic pain, inflammation, and stress. Even if you’re used to a higher dose of cannabis at night, higher THC doses pose a challenge for daytime use. The comparatively mild effects of hard candies help reduce pain, anxiety, and inflammation throughout the day without inducing couch-lock or a focus-hindering high.
Warning: Keep Out of Reach of Children
As more and more states legalize both recreational and medicinal cannabis, one of the biggest concerns is accidental ingestion by children. Most edibles lean on the sweet side; after all, cannabis companies want their products to be delicious. Gummies, baked goods, and hard candies dominate at the dispensary – but for adult use.
Unfortunately, kids tend to get into things that they aren’t supposed to. If cannabis edibles are left unattended, they may be found by children. And since they look just the same as regular candy, any kid will happily swipe their parents’ edibles if they think they’re getting a sweet treat.
However, children should never consume cannabis unless they are under the guidance of a physician for the treatment of chronic illness.
Even when it comes to CBD, children should only use if directed by a medical professional. While even the World Health Organization has deemed CBD safe, there still isn’t enough research on the use of CBD in children. Though many parents have found success using cannabis oils for their children with intractable epilepsy, this is often with a physician’s advice. Until there is more conclusive evidence, keep even non-potent CBD candies away from kids.
Hard Cannabis Candy Recipe – Choose Either THC or CBD Candies
Here is a simple recipe to make either THC or CBD hard candy. Be mindful of the dosage when it comes to THC. If others will be consuming your candies, ask them about their tolerance. You can also use the recipe to make lollipops if you want to – all you need are the lollipop sticks.
The only difference in recipe between a potent THC edible and a soothing CBD one is the cannabis component. Choose between either THC or CBD tincture (or a combination tincture). If you choose to make your cannabutter recipe, you can pick the potency of the original strain for more control over dosage. For example, if you want to avoid THC altogether, stick with a strain like Charlotte’s Web to create a high CBD and very low THC cannabutter.
You will need:
- 1/4 cup Cannabutter or butter with 1-2 tablespoons of tincture
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 box (3 oz) Jello in any flavor you like
- Candy thermometer
- Small heavy saucepan
- 20 lollipop sticks or candy molds
**Please note, for this recipe you will need a butter component and a cannabis component. If you want a low cannabis dosage or this is your first foray into edibles, you can use regular butter and then add cannabis tincture later. If you can handle high potency, you can use cannabutter and later add tincture for an extra boost.
If you don’t have a candy mold, worry not. There is an easy workaround. Create a thick layer of icing sugar or cornstarch over the bottom of a glass baking dish. Create small dents in the icing sugar in the size and shape you want your candy. You can do this with a spoon, another candy, or the end of a spatula. Anything works. When it comes time to pour the liquid sugar into the candy mold, pour into these divots instead.
- Prepare your ingredients and molds before starting, as candy making is a time sensitive process.
- If you are making lollipops or using a candy mold, grease them before you start (this is not applicable for the icing sugar method described above). This will stop your candy from sticking to these surfaces.
- Place your heavy pan over low heat. Add the butter, sugar, and corn syrup.
- Stir with a metal or plastic utensil until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Slowly bring the mixture to a boil while stirring constantly. Keep a close eye on the mixture at all times, and do not allow it to burn.
- Place the candy thermometer into the pan, still stirring constantly, and let the mixture boil to 275 degrees.
- When your candy reaches 275 degrees, remove the thermometer and immediately add the Jello and cannabis tincture. Stir rapidly until the mixture is smooth.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour your mixture into the mold. Complete this step very quickly; sugar hardens rapidly as it cools. Remember – it’s a time sensitive process.
- If you are making lollipops, place the sticks into the candies before the mixture has had a chance to cool down.
- Do not cool the candy in the fridge. Room temperature is perfect.
- Once the hard candy or lollipops have cooled, you can lightly coat them in icing sugar to prevent them from sticking to each other.
- Enjoy your new scrumptious medication!
Ready? What are you waiting for! 🙂